Canada's main stock index ended slightly higher on Thursday, boosted by energy companies as well as gains among big banks and some miners, while BlackBerry Ltd (>> BlackBerry Ltd) pulled back after a sharp jump.
- The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index <.GSPTSE> rose 22.96 points, or 0.14 percent, to 16,182.63.
- Half of its 10 main groups rose, with advancers barely outnumbering decliners overall.
- The energy group climbed 1.4 percent, with Encana Corp (>> Encana Corp) up 3.4 percent at C$15.98 and Canadian Natural Resources Ltd (>> Canadian Natural Resources Limited) adding 1.2 percent to C$44.41.
- Northern Dynasty Minerals Ltd (>> Northern Dynasty Minerals Ltd) rose 3.6 percent to C$2.30 after saying it will apply for federal and state permits on Friday for its Pebble mine in Alaska.
- The materials group, which includes precious and base metals miners and fertilizer companies, added 0.1 percent.
- BlackBerry Ltd (>> BlackBerry Ltd) fell 3.6 percent to C$15.03 a day after surging on the back of its quarterly earnings.
- The heavyweight financials group gained 0.2 percent, as bonds yields rose after strong inflation and retail sales data. Toronto-Dominion bank (>> Toronto-Dominion Bank) gained 0.5 percent to C$72.85 and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (>> Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) added 1 percent to C$123.48.
- Cogeco Communications Inc (>> Cogeco Communications Inc) rose 2.2 percent to C$88.97 and Dream Office Real Estate Investment Trust (>> Dream Office Real Estate Investment Trst) declined 4.2 percent to C$21.55 after TD Securities upgraded Cogeco and downgraded Dream Office.
- Cable and telecom company Quebecor Inc (>> Quebecor, Inc.) rose 1.0 percent to C$23.72 after Desjardins raised it to a "buy".
- Paramount Resources Ltd (>> Paramount Resources, Ltd.) rose 7 percent to C$19.37 after announcing a share buyback plan.
(Reporting by Alastair Sharp; Editing by David Gregorio and Chizu Nomiyama)
By Alastair Sharp
Stocks treated in this article : Cogeco Communications Inc
, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
, Canadian Natural Resources Limited
, Dream Office Real Estate Investment Trst
, Encana Corp
, Northern Dynasty Minerals Ltd
, Paramount Resources, Ltd.
, Quebecor, Inc.
, BlackBerry Ltd
, Toronto-Dominion Bank